Saturday, January 10, 2009

Introduction Letter to Students

Welcome to our online class: Communications in Business!

My name is Mrs. Dannie McKee. I taught business and computer courses at McComb High School for 12 years before retiring in 2004. Prior to that I was a marketing manager for twenty-six years with BellSouth in Birmingham, AL. My permanent home is Tylertown, MS but my husband and I live most of the time in our motor home. We enjoy the company of our cat, Magnolia, and Casper (our Bichon Frise). We are currently stationed in El Paso, TX where my husband works as an anesthetist for the US Army Medical Center. In my spare time, I enjoy riding 4-wheelers and our new Stallion Trike.


About the Class

Communications in Business is an interactive class requiring you to research and learn about various aspects of business. In your job as intern, you will complete work with various software packages, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc. We will discuss these tools in more detail later. For now, just browse the course pages to get familiar with the assignment locations; explore the tabs on the content page, such as Discussions, Dropbox, Grades, etc. You will use these tabs to "turn in" your work and see the grades that are posted.

  • Check your dropbbox comments after I grade your assignments. Sometimes I allow a "re-do" for a better grade. Also look at your grades every week--work not completed results in a "0" on the grade tab. Work may be turned in late, but your grades will reflect a lower score.
You will receive two other software programs for use later during the class. They are MicroType4 and Keychamp; a Keychamp book is also provided. Your site facilitator (counselor or other teacher) will have the software for your use. We will cover installation instructions later in the class. For now, just keep the software in a safe place. Also you must return the software and book to your site facilitator at the end of this class. Your grades will not be released until these items are received in Jackson by the MS Virtual Public School (MVPS) staff.

Assignments

Assignments will be posted on the "News" page every Tuesday to be completed by Monday of the following week. There is a class calendar posted on our Course "News" page. (Please print the calendar and keep track of assignments. (Other notes may also be posted on the "News" for your review.

  • Check the "News" frequently! That is your source for important information and changes about the class.Also, check your grades every week--work not completed results in a "0" on the grade tab.Work may be turned in late, but your grades will reflect a lower score.
  • Make a folder on your computer hard drive for the class; the folder name should be"xxBusCom" (replace xx with your initials). Each assignment has a specific name; use that name when turning in work to the dropbox.
  • Backup your files with a flash (aka thumb) drive or external hard drive. "My computer crashed" is not a valid excuse for not turning in work. Back-up files every time you complete an assignment! Trust me on this: if you don't back-up your files, the COMPUTER WILL CRASH JUST WHEN A CRITICAL ASSIGNMENT IS DUE!

Other assignments will be posted here on my Blog. It is your responsibility to check the blog frequently and follow the assignment directions. These assignments will be part of your class grade. Bookmark this BLOG so you can get back to it easily.

Your first assignment from this blog is to add a comment (go to bottom of page) that includes your first and last name and what you expect to learn in this class. After you complete this work, add a file to Practice Dropbox. (Copy and paste your comment from the blog into a Notepad document then upload it to Practice Dropbox.) This will be a bonus of 10 points added to your grade.

Other Notes

I Like to Talk on the Phone! You can expect a phone call from me this week to confirm your enrollment in the class. I also like to talk with your parents from time-to-time just to give them a progress report. Your site coordinator also receives frequent calls from me. As for any problems that you encounter such as log-in, course questions, software issues, etc., you may contact me by phone or text at 601-810-4923 or email (dannie.mckee@gmail.com). My office hours are posted on the "News" page. Don't hesitate to ask for help; your success is my success!


  • CHECK YOUR COURSE EMAILS every time you sign in. You are frequently asked to respond to emails and unless you check them every day, you may be late on an assignment.
  • Check your dropbox feedback to read my comments. Sometimes I allow you to "redo" an assignment to get additional points. But you won't know unless you check the feedback.


In closing, I look forward to working with you as we refine skills and learn new ones to help you succeed in the future.


What you can Expect from Me

You can expect a phone call from me this week to confirm your enrollment in the class. I also like to talk with your parents from time-to-time just to give them a progress report. Your site coordinator also receives frequent calls from me. As for any problems that you encounter such as log-in, course questions, software issues, etc., you may contact me by phone (601-810-4923) during my normal hours posted on the "News" page or via email (dannie.mckee@gmail.com). Don't hesitate to ask for help; your success is my success!


In closing, I look forward to working with you as we refine skills and learn new ones to help you succeed in the future.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is LeAnn Shack. I am in your online class this semester. What I am expecting to learn in this class is how to make positive and smart businesss decisions. I am also expecting to learn key techniques in business areas.

Dannie McKee said...

Great LeAnn, I will make sure you learn some tools to help you make those decisions.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ms. McKee. My name is I'Shandra McLeod. In Communications in Business, I am expecting to learn a great deal of information. I hope to learn much more about computers and how to use them in the world of Business. I look forward to working with you as my online teacher and I really hope you feel the same way.

Dannie McKee said...

I'Shandra, thanks for your comments. Together we can certainly learn more about Communications in Business.

Unknown said...

Good afternoon, my name is Willie Jordan and I am enrolled this semester for the class. I am here to learn everthing that there is to learn about Communications in Business.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. McKee my name is Jonathon Stringer.I expect to learn a great deal in this class, next year when i go to college i want to major in business. So that why i decided to take this online class so i could get a step ahead. I already know a little about computers, i just want to learn how to manage my finances and my business if i am ever to start one. I plan to do well in this class and i hope you will enjoy having me as a student

Dannie McKee said...

Jonathon, I am very glad to have you in TWO classes. This class will help you understand the importance of proper communications, while the other class deals with web pages. Between the two, you will certainly have a bit of help in your college work.

kelliferris16 said...

Hi my name is Kelli Perrin Ferris! I am so excited to be in this class. I plan to learn the basic techniques of using a computer,learn a little keyboarding, and freshen up on my communication skills.

Dannie McKee said...

Great, Kelli, you can certainly improve those skills in our class. Thanks for the note; I look forward to working with you in our class

Anonymous said...

My name is Joshua Hamilton. In your class this semester, i expect to learn skills that would help me in the future running my own business successfully.

Dannie McKee said...

1.18.09 Joshua, you will certainly learn some business tips for a successful future. Thanks for your comments.

dehenri said...

hello my name is Dehenri Miles.Im is currently in your online class. I expect to learn to commuicate in the business

Dannie McKee said...

2.23.09 Great job, DeHenri! You earned 10 bonus points for this comment. I hope you enjoy learning more about business communications.